Whether you don’t have central air conditioning in your home or you are just trying to cut your utility costs, it can be hard to be in your home without air conditioning in the summer months. Opening your front door to a blast of stuffy heat is never a pleasant feeling. Fortunately, there are a lot of ways that you can help your home cool down without flipping on your air conditioning.
- Get good shades for your windows and keep them drawn during the day. Although you may not be able to enjoy the natural sunlight that would have entered your home, you will be keeping out the heat that comes with those rays. If you allow the sun to shine directly into your home, the heat will be enter your home, get trapped in your home and start to warm up your home.
- As soon as it starts to cool down outside, start letting fresh air in. Open your windows, open your doors and get some fans running to circulate the cool air throughout your home.
- Your home should be insulated well. You want to make sure that any cool air you can create is going to stay trapped in your home. You also want to be sure that hot air cannot enter your home through cracks in your insulation.
- When you can’t get your house to cool down enough, start drinking icy beverages. Get yourself some ice water or even a slushy, by cooling yourself down from the inside out you can minimize the effort that you have to invest in cooling the temperature throughout your home.
- Whatever you do, do not turn on your oven or your stove. Plan meals that don’t require the oven or the stove or take the time to cook these meals ahead of time. Adding extra heat to an already hot home can create a miserable environment.
Keep yourself cool this summer! Enjoy the sunshine and make sure that you are comfortable in your own home.